Thursday, January 15, 2009

Come Again? I Didn't Understand.

Well, I gotta admit, that's how I feel sometimes here so far. Wow, I just wish I could have supernatural understanding of what they are saying! It's so interesting to watch Josh and Julie speak to these people with such ease. Julie took about two years to be able to do it and I am wishing that the understanding could be downloaded to me in two days? Yeah right!

Well, God is a God of impossibilities! I am still asking Him if He would give me this great gift. In the mean time, I am studying and Josh and Julie have been helping me a lot. I just can't believe Josh is teaching about Spiritual things in their language and everything. It is quite amazing to watch, but he is a great teacher with me of this language. He is also one of the most patient people I know!

I realize though that I am a student here. I am a student from words to food to the way you greet someone hello. Yesterday, Julie and I went to a breakfast for the women's ministry at the house of Devri, another amazing woman. It was a small group of four. Three of whom were American and one who was Middle Eastern. They went from the Middle Eastern language to English back to the other language and back to English. It was crazy!

Julie didn't want me to feel bored so she translated a little for me. I told her though that she didn't have to feel obligated to translate the whole time. Whew, boy did I ask for it after I told her that. She stopped a little and then it began, the whirlwind in my head that is! Granted, I know how this works when learning a new language, but wow! It was sometimes overwhelming to my head, but it is a good thing.

I wanted so desperately to talk to their friend who was there. We used hand gestures to speak to each other, but that's about all we could do to communicate. At one point, I picked up a bowl and tried to ask her what it meant in her language. She helped me and said what it was.

The people here are so warm and very friendly. I could also see that their friend wanted so badly to speak to me too. Yet again, another motivation for me to learn this language. I want to be able to communicate! Anyway, it's just the beginning! Stay tuned for more...

No comments: